Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 3: Maneuvering the Playdate


I feel like I should be working harder to make more interesting breakfasts. Instead I took the easy route and had some egg cupcakes I made late last week. For a snack I had some almonds and a banana.

Today was a bit more tricky because we were invited to a breakfast play date. It is always difficult to know how to maneuver around the food thing when going to other peoples houses. I know because I have been doing it for the past 3 years being gluten free. This was definitely more difficult. I didn't even want to try to go into the whole explanation of what I could eat so I just said I would be fine and bring something to eat for everyone. I ended up just bringing a banana bread from whole foods (not gluten free or Paleo). Had I taken the time to plan ahead, I could have made something interesting for everyone to try. We got there and there was quite the spread. She did have grapes and strawberries which I could eat. Everything else was off limits. I ate before we got there so I wasn't too tempted. Sometimes I miss the days when I could just eat anything I wanted.

We had a great time at the play date and came home and made lunch. I was originally going to make an Avocado Tuna Boat, but the process looked too long and difficult so I just recreated the almond and tuna portion (minus the extra ingredients originally involved). I also added some beets that we had sitting in the fridge. I was happy with the lunch, Alexis was not very interested-could be that everything she ate at the play date had her full. Speaking of full, I was full from lunch and didn't even need an afternoon snack!

For dinner we had Pecan-Crusted Chicken and a Fancy Pear Salad. Both were tasty but the pear salad was the favorite of the evening. It was so simple, but the flavors just worked really well together. AJ had many helpings of the salad and Alexis had a second helping of the chicken. It has been somewhat difficult to get the kids to buy into these food choices so we are excited when we can find something they like. Eventually, I would like to have the whole family eat this way, but that is a blog post for the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment