Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 8: Paleo Brings the Family Together

Week 2 begins! We woke up this morning and we made some pumpkin pancakes from our Paleo Comfort Foods book. They were OK, but a little watery. It can be tough to get the hang of working with gluten free flours (this one is made from almond flour). After breakfast we went to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to shop for the week. It is so much easier to shop when you have a menu and shopping list to work with. This week was a little more expensive because we have some special meats on the menu. Scott is OK with the added expense for now and once the 30 days are up we will probably calm down on the specialty meals a little. I remind myself that while it may be a little more expensive now, we are not eating out as much for family dinners (or taking in) and I am not eating out as much for breakfast or lunch when I am home with the kids. 


We made BLT's (Everyday Paleo) for an early lunch (minus the bread-we used lettuce to wrap it) which was tasty, but was not filling enough to stand alone as a snack unless we increased the portions. 
We also had some random veggies left over from last week so we made a soup. The soup contained gluten free low sodium chicken stock, celery, mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, green onions, zucchini, bacon, chicken, crushed garlic, basil and black pepper. It was fabulous. The kids absolutely LOVED it! 



For dinner we planned a Paleo family dinner with my parents, my family, my brother and his wife, and my brother's friend and his girlfriend. My parents made yummy pot roast from the Paleo Comfort Foods book with lots of veggies and also some stir fried veggies. We made some mashed cauliflower (kind of like mashed potatoes). My brother made cinnamon sweet potatoes. My brother's friend and girlfriend made gluten free cupcakes (not sure if they are Paleo because they included dark chocolate which probably contained dairy). They also included my favorite allergen free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand). I ate half a cupcake. The cupcakes were ridiculously yummy and probably a sweet treat that I will eat again after the 30 day challenge. As I posted in my challenge goals-I am not going to feel bad about a treat now and then. I ate it and enjoyed it and am back on the challenge. Overall, the meal was fabulous! Everyone enjoyed eating good food and engaging in great conversation. Paleo has definitely brought our family closer.



No comments:

Post a Comment